Community Education Series: Embracing Rough-and-Tumble Play
3 August 2018
Date: Thursday, October 25, 7:00-8:30PM
Location: St. David’s Center
Presenters: Mike Huber, Early Childhood Education Supervisor & Faith Mianulli, Lead OTR
Rough-and-tumble play is essential for child development, yet we often perceive it as misbehavior. In this session, preschool parents and childcare providers will learn the purpose of rough-and-tumble play, its place in a child’s development, the unintended consequences of limiting this type of play, and ways to effectively respond to a child’s needs for movement and more vigorous activity.
Six Signs Your Child Could Benefit from More Rough-and-Tumble Play
- Being overly active or having difficulty calming down.
- Excessively seeking movement or touch.
- A lack of physical or social confidence.
- Holding back from play with other children.
- Acting aggressive or defiant.